Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash

I just came from a dinner where we made Moroccan-style stuffed acorn squash and it was really incredible. I had 4 acorn squashes sitting in my closet since my CSA has delivered them the past couple weeks, and I wasn't sure what to make. This recipe was super easy and cooked up completely in about 35 or 40 minutes. It's essentially a complete meal for 4, which I think is a pretty good time/outcome ratio.

A few things about the recipe:
  • I did what they said with the butter and brown sugar, but it didn't really make much sense to me. I ended up pouring out the butter and brown sugar mixture that had pooled in the bottom of the squashes before stuffing them. In the future I would ignore those instructions.
  • I clearly love anything with cumin, and this is no exception. I think adding some more spice would make it more interesting (though it was by no means boring). I might try it with a hawaij spice mix next time.
  • This could be really awesome with quinoa for a little more of the protein punch.
I also got a buttercup squash in my CSA a couple weeks ago. I wasn't sure how to prepare it, so I looked around online and found you can make it in the microwave! I cut it in half, scooped it out, put a little bit of maple syrup in the halves and then microwaved for 7-10 minutes and ended up with a really good squash. I got another one and did it again last night, but since I had no maple syrup I used agave nectar and molasses - very tasty.

Since it's obvious the CSA is forcing me to expand my horizons, one last finding: green chard. I sauteed the green chard I got with a tablespoon or two of sesame oil and it was amazing. Ben isn't a big fan of leafy greens but actually went out and bought more green chard to make it the next night.

1 comment:

jovaliquilts said...

Well I clearly have to try this! I love butternut squash but I've never been a huge fan of acorn squash, although they look adorable stuffed. This sounds like the perfect way to use them!